domingo, 2 de marzo de 2014

C A T A R S I S

During christmas we where asked to research 3 words (modernism, conceptualism and abstract). The task was to research these terms in depth creating a presentation of artist's works relevant to the topics.

During the research I realised that the three terms merged with each other, meaning that some works could be both modernist and conceptualist,  either conceptualist and abstract, as well as, abstract and modernist. However, the art movements that connected the mostly where abstract and modernism, this is why in the presentation I merged these two topics, as to my belief it was better to study them as one.

After presenting our images to our colleagues, and discussing each other's presentation, we where asked to create a project based on one of these movements. The fact that we had earlier on reflected in groups on the images helped my decision, as during the discussion I had driven my interest and attention to a new field of art to me, A B S T R A C T.

Although I had previously during the course researched and based a project on C O N C E P T U A L I S M, and knew in depth the main ideas and artists related to the movement, I decided to challenge myself focusing on a new topic that I had never worked with before.

Before starting to produce any work in my sketchbook I researched more on the theme, because I believed it was very complex. I discovered that abstract art does not deceit a person, place or thing in the natural world. The subject of the work is based on what the viewer sees: colours, shapes, brushstrokes, size, scale and process, meaning that abstract art does not have a base on something visually natural.

The previous research on Antoni Tapies, Pablo Picasso and Laszlo Moholy Nagi was very inspirational towards my final idea. I decided to create a painting merging some concepts refelcted on their works. I started experimenting with colours and techniques Tapies used in his paintings.





                             F i r s t    t e s t s 



After the the first tests and experiments, I realised that the painting had to have a clear concept, which I could develop into the final abstract painting. This is why I took as a main idea a torn photograph which I could work around with (inspired by abstract photographs of Laszlo and the collages by Picasso). The idea was to create a painting developing the torn photograph placed as a collage interpreting in abstract painting what I visually felt when looking it.




I felt very confident with the final result, as it reflected all my research, as well as, the main idea. The abstract painting titled  T H E   B O W L  is a meditational and expansive painting on how I conceive the image, it's texture, colour, shadows, shapes...




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario